As one of the core responsibilities of the BID, supplemental sanitation keeps Myrtle Avenue clear of litter and graffiti for the benefit of our residents, shoppers and merchants. Activities include daily sidewalk sweeping, daily replacement of corner trash bin liners, weekly replacement of public recycling bin liners, and monthly graffiti removal. Since 2005, The Doe Fund has provided supplemental sanitation services for the BID. The Doe Fund’s Ready, Willing & Able program is a 9-12 month transitional work program for formerly homeless or incarcerated men.
Supplemental Sanitation Services in BID District:
- Provide approximately 10,000 hours of service annually, covering 24 8-hour shifts per week
- Replace over 20,000 trash bin liners annually, which equates to over 150 tons of trash
- Service four sets of public recycling bins that were requested by the Partnership
- Remove over 100 instances of graffiti annually
- Remove illegal flyers and stickers as needed
- Remove derelict bicycles as needed
- Report illegal dumping to the NYC Department of Sanitation for removal
- Remove snow from bus stops and corners
Read our Annual Report for more information about project activities and accomplishments.