Website Rethink Cafe
The Cafe Supervisor will oversee the day-to-day operations at the Rethink Cafe. This is a culinary focused position that will also support front of house responsibilities and customer service. The Supervisor will also help play a key role in managing the Cafe inventory and in-kind donation process at the Cafe. This is a New York City based position. Working hours of Cafe are Monday-Sunday 7am-9am (AM and PM shift hours vary). The position is offered at $23/hour plus benefits and will be working on-site at the Rethink Cafe in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. Key Responsibilities:
- Oversees front and back of the house operations and ensures compliance of staff with Rethink Cafe company policies, cooking procedures, and upholding dept of health standards.
- Opening and closing duties of cafe including, but not limited to – cash handling, setting up and breaking down cafe, participating in or assigning cleaning duties before, during and after service hours
- Maintains a close working relationship with Rethink’s Commissary Kitchen; establishes and maintain pars for consumables, dry goods, produce and other needs in coordination with commissary kitchen
- Maximizes use of donated products in menu planning and assists in research for new menu items; uses creatively to make nutritious meals with the limitations of product and equipment
- Serves customers efficiently with food and drink orders and takes payments; responsible for security (product and cash), and taking payments accurately.
- Handles customer complaints proactively; reports feedback to Cafe Manager and Executive Director of Operations (EDO)
- Upholds the highest culinary standards including but not limited to: proper knife skills, ability to operate kitchen equipment, savory and baking skills and techniques, packing and storing cooked in raw food product to ensure quality and freshness and consistently use safe and sanitary food handling practices
- Orders inventory of required materials (packaging, disposables, dry goods) needed on a weekly basis, through either the commissary or external vendor
- Properly fills out forms and paperwork to track cooling temperatures, food, deliveries and Covid protocol
- Takes leadership in the development and training of the Rethink Cafe staff:
- Enforces Safety Guidelines and Food Safety Standards
- Ensures excellent customer service and FOH protocols
- Ensures proper set up and breakdown of kitchen protocols and procedures
- Oversees staff during shift and communicates any performance issues promptly with Cafe Manager and EDO
- Works collaboratively with EDO to create training plans and Standard Operating Procedures for efficiency in the kitchen
- May be responsible for working at other Rethink locations to support scheduling needs
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Skills Knowledge and Expertise:
- Minimum 2+ years experience in medium to high volume kitchen, with basic knife skills required
- NYC Food Handlers Certification and ServSafe, or obtain within the first 30 days of employment
- Works as part of a team, is helpful and considerate to others both in and out of the kitchen and is a leader is representing the cafe
- Professional, reliable, enthusiastic
- Catering and event experience a plus
- Have a good attitude and willing to take instructions and work well with others
- Have a passion for cooking, understand product utilization, food quality and seasonal ingredients
- The ability to multitask and work in a fast paced, high pressured environment
- Self motivated individual who takes initiative, and is always looking to grow and learn
- Must embrace the mission and core values of Rethink Food
- Must be able to stand, bend, stretch, and lift, and carry heavy materials up to 50lbs
As a values-driven organization that values the well-being of our team, we’re committed to continually evaluating and improving the employee benefits we provide for our exceptional staff. Rethink is able to offer a range of benefits available to all full-time staff that include generous paid-time off, health insurance, and an array and a range of additional voluntary benefits including: dental, vision, retirement plans, commuter benefits, short-term and long-term disability insurance, portable life insurance, critical illness insurance, legal assistance insurance, hospital indemnity insurance, Health Saving Account (HSA), Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and prepaid college funds.
Most importantly, Rethink will offer a company contribution that will fully cover a basic company health insurance plan for any employee that wants it. Just as we believe food is a basic human right, we also believe access to basic health care is as well.
What You Bring to the Table:
Commitment to embodying our values of:
Inventiveness. At our core, we are relentlessly curious about solving problems. As our name suggests, we’re a team of creative thinkers, but we’re also hands-on doers, challenging norms with humility to find practical solutions that can create lasting change.
Vulnerability . Guided by an “always be better” mindset, we are a team that intentionally reflects on what we are doing well and where we need to improve. We hold ourselves and each other accountable, every day. No blame, no shame — we just want to be sure we’re always doing the right thing.
Kindness . At Rethink, we show up every day with empathy and compassion and believe everyone should be treated with dignity. Kindness goes a long way — we are all about just being kind.
Thoughtfulness . Our vision for a nourished and thriving world starts with nourished and thriving individuals in each of our communities. Our work is centered on the needs of the people that bring our communities to life. We don’t pretend to have all of the answers. We are committed to listening and learning in order to identify and scale solutions that ensure stable and reliable access to healthy food for all so each and every community can thrive.
Rethink Food is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage or citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status. The company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.
To apply for this job please visit jooble.org.