Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn Partnership
Application Deadline: June 30, 2019
The Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn Partnership is currently seeking a Program Specialist to manage its community initiatives, including Age-Friendly Myrtle Avenue, the Fort Greene & Farragut Fresh Pantry, and the summer youth internship program (YEMP). In addition, the Program Specialist will support community projects as they arise and serve as the primary point of contact for some community stakeholders.
Fort Greene & Farragut Fresh Pantry
The Program Specialist will support the operations and management of the pantry, which operates every third Saturday of the month from 8:00am-12:00pm.
- Volunteer management: Conduct community outreach to recruit volunteers/volunteer groups; manage volunteers document tracking; assist with training; develop volunteer recognition events and activities
- Operations: Assist with all operations (set up/break down registration); manage preparation for distribution; maintain a list of supplies and report back to order supplies as needed
- Communication: Serve as the primary contact for all partners including Resident Associations, City Harvest; assist with social media
- Data: Support data tracking via Plentiful app; track volunteers; provide reports to partners
- Programming: Brainstorm and organize programming to take place at the pantry (cooking demos, resource tables)
Young Entrepreneur Mentorship Program (YEMP)
The Specialist will be a liaison between 15 high school students and summer worksites on Myrtle, submitting timesheets and reporting any potential issues and successes. The Specialist will also coordinate and attend classroom workshops with the teens. This is a seasonal program, running from July 8 – August 16.
- Be in regular contact with worksite supervisors to check in on teen performance and track weekly timesheets; Check in with teens regularly to troubleshoot issues and provide support.
- Manage all teen timesheets; prepare and distribute pre- and post-program survey to supervisors and teens; document program activities for social media; prepare a final report
- Coordinate one job readiness/skills workshops for all participants; coordinate the closing graduation ceremony.
Age-Friendly Myrtle Avenue
The Program Specialist will help us place an “age-friendly lens” on our work, to both preserve and build new opportunities for 6,000+ seniors aging in place here. By bringing visibility to older adults and their needs and ideas, we help seniors to remain connected to Myrtle Avenue, to each other, and to the greater Fort Greene/Clinton Hill community, even as the neighborhood continues to change and evolve.
- Work closely with staff to coordinate the role of Myrtle Avenue businesses and local stakeholders into a unified program that benefits older adult residents.
- Manage all aspects of coordinating and maintaining the Senior Advisory Council, a group of 30+ older adults who will help to inform and lead Age-friendly programming.
- Continually build a strong partner network to help shape programming to engage older adults
- Evaluate program success through surveys, focus groups and interviews
General Program Coordination Responsibilities
- Conduct regular community outreach to both inform and market programs
- Assist with development of marketing and other external communications materials for multiple stakeholders, including marketing brochures, fact sheets, press releases and more
- Assist with strategies for project documentation and evaluation
- Assist in the development and implementation of special projects as they arise
Desired Qualities and Skills:
- You are friendly, warm and comfortable engaging people – this is key!
- Candidates should have strong organization and time management skills, especially in organizing work plans and goals
- Critical thinker with the ability to be resourceful, anticipate obstacles and troubleshoot issues
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with a problem-solving attitude
- Possesses team spirit, and a willingness to pitch in and help with a wide range of varied assignments, as time and regular duties permit
- Experienced and comfortable using Microsoft applications and social media platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree Minimum two years of professional experience required, with competencies in program coordination, non-profit programs, service delivery, community development, senior citizen engagement, a related field, or some combination of many of these is preferred.
- Work outdoors and indoors
- Standing, lifting and walking for extended periods of time, sometimes in extreme temperatures
- Transport heavy/bulky items
- Work in a potentially noisy environment
Schedule and Compensation:
- Work schedule is 21 hours/week, with the possibility for flexible working hour Some evenings or weekends will be required periodically. Great opportunity for someone that requires a flexible schedule.
- Annual salary is $30,000. This is a one year contracted position.
- Paid leave in accordance with NY City regulations
- Discounted Citi Bike membership
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume via email by June 30, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Program Specialist – Community Initiatives” in the subject line.
About Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn Partnership
The Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn Partnership fosters an inclusive vibrant community anchored by Myrtle Avenue. We do this by engaging and supporting our neighbors, cultivating partnerships, building community capacity, identifying needs, and providing services that connect our neighbors to resources and opportunities. Find out more about our work at myrtleavenue.org.
Note: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identify and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete an employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
The Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn Partnership is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com