This 1940 photo shows a stretch of Myrtle Avenue, between Emerson Place and Classon Avenue, in Clinton Hill. The storefront that once housed a meat market is now home to Brewklyn Grind coffee shop. Next door, on the right side of the photo, is home today to Leisure Life NYC and is seen here in 1940 as a plumbing supply store. On the left side of the photo, the Hollywood produce market is shown in operation. This fruit and vegetable market, owned by the Venezia family, opened in 1935 and remained open for more than 72 years, closing when the owners retired in 2007.
This photo was taken by the city in 1940, when the tax department snapped a photo of each and every lot across the five boroughs. Later, an updated photo survey was undertaken by the city in 1980. Photos of any property can be ordered through the city’s Department of Records.